InvestSMART

Trio front man 'Shawny Cash' heads to prison

THE front man for Australia's largest superannuation heist, Shawn Richard, has spent his first night in prison.
By · 23 Jul 2011
By ·
23 Jul 2011
comments Comments
THE front man for Australia's largest superannuation heist, Shawn Richard, has spent his first night in prison.

The long night with the Department of Corrective Services marks the final fall from grace for the former investment manager and playboy, who dishonestly received $1.3 million in investors' money.

The fall of the man known as "Shawny Cash" was witnessed by his one-time business partner, Eugene Liu, and a former Trio director, David Andrews, as they sat in the public gallery in the NSW Supreme Court.

Yesterday Richard, 36, was formally convicted of two counts of dishonest conduct for his role in the Trio Capital fraud, in which investors lost $180 million.

Justice Peter Garling revoked Richard's bail and confirmed he would impose a prison sentence on the counts, which carry a maximum term of 10 years. Richard is due to be sentenced on August 12.

Yesterday the court heard Richard had received $1.3 million in secret payments directed to offshore bank accounts in the exotic tax havens of Liechtenstein, in Europe, and Curacao, an island in the Caribbean Sea.

Richard then splurged hundreds of thousands on his personal expenses. In one instance in 2009 Richard received $250,000 in Australian investors' money for his personal expenses, including $67,800 spent on rent. In another example, in 2005 Richard received $US800,000 in a bank account in Curacao. The payments were on top of his annual salary of $113,000.

The Crown showed Richard's secret payments were raked off from Australians' investments into complicated offshore funds in a system likened by Justice Garling to a Ponzi scheme.

Richard's representative, John Agius, SC, said Richard had been naive, vulnerable and greedy when he had teamed up with a US citizen based in Hong Kong, Jack Flader, who was referred to as a sophisticated fraudster.

Mr Agius tendered a psychological report, arguing Richard had acted under the influence of Mr Flader and was not responsible for the scheme itself. But Anthony Payne, SC, acting for the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions, said Richard's behaviour showed criminality of the most serious kind.

Justice Garling questioned the absence of investment committees, directors and auditors in the case of Trio Capital.

Justice Garling also said he did not understand the principle by which funds regulated by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority could receive federal government compensation but self-managed superannuation funds could not.

In the case of Trio, the former have received $55 million and the latter have received nothing.

"So the principle is if you are bigger and regulated you get compensation ... if you are smaller and vulnerable you don't?" Justice Garling said to Mr Payne.

Google News
Follow us on Google News
Go to Google News, then click "Follow" button to add us.
Share this article and show your support
Free Membership
Free Membership
InvestSMART
InvestSMART
Keep on reading more articles from InvestSMART. See more articles
Join the conversation
Join the conversation...
There are comments posted so far. Join the conversation, please login or Sign up.

Frequently Asked Questions about this Article…

The Trio Capital fraud was a large superannuation heist in which investors lost about $180 million. The court found that money was siphoned into complicated offshore funds and secret payments, and the scheme has been likened by Justice Peter Garling to a Ponzi‑style arrangement.

Shawn Richard, nicknamed "Shawny Cash," was the front man and a former investment manager in the Trio Capital operation. He was convicted of two counts of dishonest conduct after receiving around $1.3 million in secret payments directed to offshore accounts and spending hundreds of thousands on personal expenses; his bail was revoked and he is due to be sentenced on August 12.

Yes. The court heard that secret payments were sent to offshore bank accounts in Liechtenstein and Curacao, and that investors' money was routed into complicated offshore funds as part of the scheme.

Some investors did receive government compensation, but only those in funds regulated by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA). In the Trio case APRA‑regulated funds received $55 million in compensation, while self‑managed superannuation funds (SMSFs) received nothing — a disparity highlighted by Justice Garling.

Justice Garling criticised the absence of basic governance — noting a lack of investment committees, attentive directors and auditors — and the Crown presented the payments and structures as being raked off from investors into opaque offshore vehicles. He likened the system to a Ponzi‑style arrangement.

The court heard several examples: Richard received $250,000 in 2009 that was used for personal expenses (including $67,800 in rent), and in 2005 $US800,000 was deposited into a Curacao bank account. These payments were above his reported annual salary of $113,000.

Richard was convicted of two counts of dishonest conduct; those counts carry a maximum term of 10 years. His bail was revoked after conviction, he has spent time in custody, and sentencing is scheduled for August 12.

Key takeaways are to prioritise transparent governance and independent oversight: check for robust investment committees, independent directors and external auditors; be cautious of opaque offshore structures and unusually complex fund arrangements; and understand whether a fund is APRA‑regulated (which may affect compensation options) or a self‑managed super fund.