As part of our mission to keep investments simple and help you grow and protect your wealth, we’re proud to be the first to offer capped fees in Australia. Whatever shape and size your financial goal comes in, we’ve got the solution for you.
Interested in investing with us?
The primary role of our Committee is to oversee the general management of our investment products - including the development of new products and ongoing monitoring of the Company's investments and its strategies.
AM, B.A. (UNSW), SNF Fin, CFPPaul Clitheroe, AM AM, B.A. (UNSW), SNF Fin, CFP Chairman
Paul has 37 years of investment experience and is regarded one of Australia's leading "money" experts. From 1993 to 2002, Paul hosted the popular Channel 9 program Money and now currently writes for newspapers across Australia, is a frequent guest expert on Australia's major television networks and radio.
Paul is Chairman of The Australian Government Financial Literacy Board and Money Magazine. He also holds the Chair of Financial Literacy at Macquarie University.
B.Com, LLB (UNSW)Catherine Teo B.Com, LLB (UNSW) General Counsel
With over 10 years’ experience working as a corporate lawyer in both Sydney and New York City, Catherine is experienced in advising corporations on legal and governance matters. Catherine holds a Bachelor of Commerce (majoring in Finance) and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of NSW.
B.Com, B.Econ, MSc. Info Tech, GAICD, SF FINRon Hodge B.Com, B.Econ, MSc. Info Tech, GAICD, SF FIN Managing Director
Ron has worked in financial services for over 25 years, including UBS in Singapore and Bell Commodities in Sydney and founded InvestSMART in 1999. Ron holds a Masters degree in Computer Science, Bachelor Degrees in Commerce and Economics, a Graduate Diploma in Applied Finance and Investments and is a Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
Editor-in-ChiefAlan Kohler, AM Editor-in-Chief
Alan has been covering business and markets as a financial journalist for 48 years, including two stints as the Financial Review’s Chanticleer columnist and periods as editor of The Age and the AFR. He also started Eureka Report in 2005 and Business Spectator in 2007.
As well as being Editor-in-Chief of InvestSMART Group, Alan is currently finance presenter on ABC News, Business Editor at Large of The Australian, presenter of the Talking Business channel on Qantas radio and an adjunct professor in the business faculty at Victoria University.
Head of Funds Management
B Ec (Hons), CAAlastair Davidson B Ec (Hons), CA Head of Funds Management
Alastair has held executive positions in the banking and financial services industry for over 27 years in the UK, USA and Australia. Prior to joining InvestSMART in 2014, he held Director positions with Aurora Funds Limited, Challenger and Salomon Smith Barney. Alastair has an Honours degree in Economics from the University of St Andrews and is currently the Treasurer of the Centenary Institute of Medical Research, Chairman of the Investment Committee of the Centenary Institute Endowment Fund and member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Scotland.
Still deciding if InvestSMART is right for you? These frequently asked questions may help.
What is the Standard Risk Measure?
The Standard Risk Measure (SRM) is a guide developed by the Financial Services Council (FSC) and The Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia (ASFA) that outlines the likely number of negative annual returns expected over any 20 year period.
The purpose of the SRM is to provide a standardised labelling system to assist investors in comparing investment options across providers, as shown below in Figure 1, FSC/ASFA Standard Risk Measure Classifications.
|Risk Label||Estimated number of negative annual returns over any 20 year period|
|Very Low||Less than 0.5|
|Low||0.5 to less than 1|
|Low to Medium||1 to less than 2|
|Medium||2 to less than 3|
|Medium to High||3 to less than 4|
|High||4 to less than 6|
|Very High||6 or greater|
We have adopted these risk rating guidelines and applied them to our products, as highlighted in Figure 2: InvestSMART Group Investment Products' SRM:
It should be noted, however, that the SRM is not a complete assessment of all forms of investment risk. For instance, it does not detail what the size of a negative return could be or the potential for a positive return to be less than a member may require to meet their objectives. As such, it should be used as a guide and as with any investment, investors should ensure they are comfortable with the risks and potential losses associated with their chosen investment option(s). Any information should be considered general in nature and before making any investment decisions, please ensure that you read all relevant disclosure documents related to that product.
What is an Exchange Traded Fund?
Can I set up a regular contribution plan?
Yes, when setting up an investment or at any point during your investment you are able to set up a direct debit regular contribution plan for a minimum of $100 per month. This can be altered at any point. Existing investors can find this form by going to the Forms section of InvestSMART Funds section of the Portfolio Manager or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I invest in more than one model?
Yes. You can invest in as many or as few of the portfolios as you like. You can allocate a specific weight to each model and choose to have it rebalanced on a regular basis or have the percentages floating as the models change in value.
What is a Professionally Managed Account (PMA)?
Under our Professionally Managed Accounts, you will gain the following benefits:
1. Professionally managed investment portfolio: An investment portfolio managed by InvestSMART's investment team.
2. You own the securities: The investor holds legal ownership and the underlying securities are registered under your name.
3. Reporting: Complete end of year Accounting and tax reporting is provided on your investment.
4. Transparency: Investors are provided full visibility of all stocks held in your portfolio.
5. Tailored & Unique Portfolio: Under a PMA, we offer multiple model portfolios to choose from so that you can create a customised and diversified portfolio to suit your individual needs. Our model portfolios will differ in the levels of risk and return, and each model offers a different investment emphasis (such as Australian & international equities, property securities, international ETFs, etc).
6. Account Management: The paperwork and administration is taken care of, reducing the administrative burden on investors.
7. Tax effective: You only pay tax on gains & income you received.
8. Inflows & outflows: Your investment will not be impacted by the decisions of other model portfolio investors. An example of this is when a pooled investment like a managed fund receives redemption requests at the bottom of the market and is a forced seller at the worst time.
9. Flexibility with income/distributions: Choose to receive the dividends directly into an account of your choice or set up a regular payment or request drawdowns on an adhoc basis.