Tax with Max: Living in an investment property

Working out negative gearing arrangements, conducting repairs, considering capital gains tax, contemplating a corporate trustee arrangement and more.

Summary: In a situation where someone wishes to purchase an investment property with their former partner, negative gearing arrangements may be considered. If one owner lives in the property they can pay rent to the other, who can claim negative gearing against income earned. But the resident of the property cannot claim negative gearing. The only exception may be if a family trust is used.

Key take-out: Legally a person cannot own a property and rent it to themselves.

Key beneficiaries: SMSF trustees and superannuation accountholders. Category: Superannuation.


{{ twilioFailed ? 'SMS Code Failed to Send…' : 'SMS Code Sent…' }}

Hi {{ user.FirstName }}

Looks like you've already taken a free trial

Please enter your payment details

We have sent you a code via SMS to {{user.DayPhone}}

please enter this code below to activate your membership

We cannot send you a code via SMS to {{user.DayPhone}}

If you didn't receive SMS code please

SMS code cannot be sent due to: {{ twilioStatus }}

Please select one of the options below:

Looks you are already a member. Please enter your password to proceed

Please untick this box when using a public or shared device

Verify your mobile number to unlock a FREE trial

Please sign up for full access

Updating information

Please wait ...

  • Mastercard
  • Visa

The email address you entered is registered with InvestSMART.

Please login or select "Don't know password"

Please untick this box when using a public or shared device

Register as a new member

(using a different email)

Related Articles