Tax with Max: keeping an eye on super from afar

Switching to an existing SMSF may give greater control of super while living abroad.

My wife and I are in our mid-30s and have superannuation in retail funds. We are moving to the UK and understand we cannot open an SMSF as it would not meet the residency test. Could we become members of my mother’s SMSF and roll our superannuation into her fund? Our superannuation assets would be less than 10% of the total assets in my mother’s SMSF. If this not possible or otherwise practical are there any other methods by which we could obtain greater control over our superannuation investments while living overseas?

Answer. The three tests a fund must satisfy to be classed as a complying Australian superannuation fund are:


SMS Code Sent…

We have sent you a code via SMS to {{user.DayPhone}}

please enter this code below to activate your membership

If you didn't receive SMS code please

Log in to access this content

Looks you are already a member. Please enter your password to proceed

Hi {{ user.FirstName }}

Verify your mobile number to unlock a FREE trial

Looks like you've already taken a free trial

Please sign up for full access

Updating information

Please wait ...

Related Articles