InvestSMART

QBE result dragged down by plunge in US bank mortgage dealing

QBE's profits have again been dragged down by weakness in its US business, after it suffered a shock plunge in demand for mortgage insurance sold via banks.
By · 21 Aug 2013
By ·
21 Aug 2013
comments Comments
QBE's profits have again been dragged down by weakness in its US business, after it suffered a shock plunge in demand for mortgage insurance sold via banks.

The global insurer disappointed investors on Tuesday when it said profits for the first half fell 37 per cent to $US477 million ($520 million), amid weak premium growth and declining investment earnings.

It also cut its final dividend in half to 20¢, after flagging lower payments to investors when it slashed its dividend payout ratio this year.

While parts of the company's sprawling empire performed well, including its Australian interests, its US arm posted another poor result, after being hit by hefty natural disaster claims last year.

Revenue from premiums in the US business fell by 16 per cent compared with a year earlier and insurance profits plunged 31 per cent to $US89 million.

A key reason for the weakness was a decline in its business selling lender-placed insurance, which protects banks if borrowers are not adequately insured.

QBE said Bank of America, its biggest client in selling lender-placed insurance, had reduced its loans book by 30 per cent, accounting for about half of the slump in QBE's US revenues.

Chief executive John Neal said also that, as the US housing market improved, there was less demand for the product.

"As the economy improves, less people find themselves in times of stress and therefore less people are either not renewing insurances or falling into default in their mortgage, so there is simply less placement of insurance," Mr Neal said.

QBE also downgraded its revenue forecasts for the US business by $US600 million for the full year, but Mr Neal stressed this was a cautious outlook.

In another disappointment for investors, QBE said it had received extra claims totalling $US178 million from previous years.

The group's profit result and dividend was short of expectations and QBE shares dropped 5.5 per cent to $16.10. The dividend, to be fully franked, will be paid on September 23.

The poor performance in the US came as QBE said it was still confident of hitting previous full-year guidance. Since his appointment a year ago, Mr Neal has sought to cut costs across QBE, after years of acquisition-fuelled growth under former boss Frank O'Halloran. He said it would be a year of "consolidation", a sentiment supported by analysts.

QBE shares have done well recently from factors including the falling Australian dollar, but Citi analyst Nigel Pittaway said the rally might have been overdone.

"This result seems to reaffirm our view that full-year 2013 is a transitional year for QBE and suggests the recent share price rally driven by macro factors has moved ahead of the underlying fundamentals," he said in a note.

Despite the weaker profit result, the company maintained its guidance, saying it expected insurance premiums to rise an average of 4 to 5 per cent.

Elizabeth Knight — Page 40
Google News
Follow us on Google News
Go to Google News, then click "Follow" button to add us.
Share this article and show your support
Free Membership
Free Membership
InvestSMART
InvestSMART
Keep on reading more articles from InvestSMART. See more articles
Join the conversation
Join the conversation...
There are comments posted so far. Join the conversation, please login or Sign up.

Frequently Asked Questions about this Article…

QBE’s first-half profits fell 37% to US$477 million (A$520m). The drop was driven by weak premium growth, declining investment earnings and a sharp fall in demand for mortgage (lender-placed) insurance in the US. QBE also recorded extra claims of US$178 million from prior years, which further weighed on the result.

QBE’s US business underperformed: premium revenue in the US fell 16% year-on-year and insurance profits plunged 31% to US$89 million. A key factor was reduced demand for lender-placed mortgage insurance, plus the US arm had previously been hit by hefty natural disaster claims.

Lender-placed insurance is cover banks buy to protect themselves if borrowers aren’t adequately insured. QBE said demand fell as the US housing market improved—fewer people default or fail to renew cover— and because big clients such as Bank of America reduced their loans book by about 30%, accounting for roughly half the fall in QBE’s US revenues.

Yes. QBE cut its final dividend in half to 20¢ (fully franked), after earlier reducing its dividend payout ratio. The dividend is scheduled to be paid on September 23. The cut reflects the weaker profit result and the company’s more cautious approach to payouts.

QBE shares fell about 5.5% to $16.10 after the result. Citi analyst Nigel Pittaway warned the earlier share rally may have outpaced the company’s fundamentals, describing the year as a transitional one for QBE.

QBE downgraded its US revenue forecast for the full year by US$600 million but the company said this was a cautious outlook. Despite the US weakness, QBE maintained its overall guidance and expects insurance premiums to rise on average by 4–5% for the year.

In addition to falling premiums and lower investment earnings, QBE recorded US$178 million of extra claims from previous years. That one-off claims load contributed to the shortfall against investor expectations.

CEO John Neal has been focusing on cost cuts and described the year as one of 'consolidation' after a period of acquisition-led growth. Investors should watch QBE’s progress on cost reduction, US premium trends (especially lender-placed insurance), any further reserve movements for past claims, and whether the company meets its maintained full-year guidance.