THE clean-up from the wild weather that ruined Christmas for thousands of Melburnians continued yesterday as the Bureau of Meteorology labelled it one of the most widespread severe storms the city has seen.
The number of properties damaged by the hail, rain and flooding was likely to climb to more than 3000, with much of the clean-up effort focused on the outer-west and north.
The SES yesterday called in about 100 reinforcements from country Victoria, boosting its numbers on the ground to at least 300. And Insurance Council of Australia chief executive Rob Whelan said insurance companies had handled more than 1000 inquiries by yesterday afternoon. He predicted the damage bill could hit tens of millions of dollars.
Senior bureau forecaster Scott Williams said it was the most long-lived severe storm to hit the city since the Brighton cyclone of 1918, which killed two people. Mr Williams said while hail may have been larger and more damaging in a storm in March last year, Sunday's weather affected a far larger area and flash floods and tornadoes made it exceptionally dangerous.
"This was probably the most [severe widespread] we've had in modern times in Melbourne," he said.
"I think it affected a far bigger part of metropolitan area [than the storm last March], there was large hail and flooding in many suburbs and three severe storm cells that came across and very significant wind damage as well.
"It's just a miracle people didn't drown . . . particularly in the Eltham and Hurstbridge area."
Flash floods upturned cars and several people needed rescuing in Eltham, where there were 175 SES call-outs.
The Eltham Retirement Centre, home to 200 residents, was hit by a wave of floodwater when a nearby railway embankment burst. It sent water up to a metre deep into 40 units at around 7pm when some residents were settling in for the night. Centre spokesman Mark Sketcher said while 30 residents needed evacuating it was lucky that no one was injured.
"[Residents] are old and frail and there is limited visibility in some cases," he said.
"So it was very disorientating and scary for them.
"It was the element of surprise that caught everyone out."
Taylors Lakes was the worst-affected suburb, with 434 SES call-outs by yesterday afternoon. At the nearby Taylors Hill Retirement Village, about 80 per cent of the 199 villas and apartments were damaged.
Manager Graham Cook said golf ball-sized hail rained down on the homes. "It has hit the terracotta tile roofs and gone through them like a bullet," he said. "Carpets, plaster ceiling walls and light fittings have been damaged . . . it is quite amazing that no one was injured."
SES spokesman Lachlan Quick said there had been about 3200 SES call-outs, compared with about 10,000 call-outs in March last year. He said he understood people's frustration with delays in repair times but asked for understanding. "People are keen to get their emergency repairs done but we've got volunteers who worked through Christmas Day and Boxing Day."
Frequently Asked Questions about this Article…
How widespread was the Melbourne storm and which areas were worst hit?
The Bureau of Meteorology described it as one of the most widespread severe storms Melbourne has seen, affecting a much larger part of the metropolitan area than last March. The clean-up focused on the outer-west and north, with Taylors Lakes, Taylors Hill, Eltham and parts of Hurstbridge named among the worst-affected suburbs.
How many properties and emergency call-outs resulted from the storm?
Authorities expected the number of properties damaged to climb to more than 3,000. The SES reported about 3,200 call-outs related to the event, including 434 call-outs in Taylors Lakes and 175 in Eltham by yesterday afternoon.
What kinds of damage did the storm cause to homes and buildings?
The storm brought large hail, flash flooding, strong winds and tornadoes. Reported damage included terracotta tile roofs punctured by golf ball‑sized hail, damaged carpets, plaster ceilings, walls and light fittings, and floodwater up to a metre deep in some units.
Were retirement villages and vulnerable residents affected by the storm?
Yes. The Eltham Retirement Centre (about 200 residents) had 40 units flooded to around a metre deep and about 30 residents evacuated, with no reported injuries. At Taylors Hill Retirement Village roughly 80% of the 199 villas and apartments were damaged.
How did emergency services respond and did they get extra help?
The SES called in about 100 reinforcements from regional Victoria, boosting personnel on the ground to at least 300. SES volunteers logged roughly 3,200 call-outs and worked through Christmas Day and Boxing Day to assist affected residents.
What did the Bureau of Meteorology say about how unusual this storm was?
Senior bureau forecaster Scott Williams said it was the most long‑lived severe storm to hit Melbourne since the 1918 Brighton cyclone. He noted the event covered a far larger area than last March, with multiple severe storm cells, large hail, flash floods and very significant wind damage.
How have insurers been involved and what are the expected financial costs?
The Insurance Council of Australia said insurance companies had handled more than 1,000 inquiries by yesterday afternoon. The council's chief executive, Rob Whelan, predicted the damage bill could hit tens of millions of dollars.
Did the storm cause any rescues or life‑threatening incidents?
Yes. Flash floods upturned cars and several people needed rescuing in Eltham. Forecasters also said flash floods and tornadoes made the event exceptionally dangerous, and authorities described it as fortunate there were not more serious injuries.