Westfield Trust slips after Lowys' exit
The co-chief executive, Peter Lowy, held a briefing at the UBS offices in Melbourne on Friday, where he suggested that if sales growth in Australia did not pick up, rents might have to fall.
A fund manager who was present and declined to be named, said the feeling was that the group now appeared to be indicating its overseas businesses were offering better growth in the future, given the flat retail environment in Australia.
At Westfield's full-year results on Wednesday, the other co-chief executive, Steven Lowy, said the Australia and New Zealand malls' net operating income growth would be between 1.5 per cent and 2 per cent, lower than last year's figure of 2.9 per cent.
As a result, the group said new leases were being signed with rents 4 per cent to 5 per cent lower than previous expiries across about 15 per cent of the tenants in Australia . Close to 60 per cent of Westfield's revenue is generated from its development and management of malls across North America, London and the new joint-venture investments in Milan and Brazil.
The retail behemoth has a development pipeline of $1.25 billion to $1.5 billion for this year, with its share being about $500 million.
The financing will come from asset sales, cost cutting and "redeployment of capital".
The group is also using capital for its share buyback program.
Paul Checchin, of Macquarie Equities, said while the retail environment in Australia was showing signs of improvement, the Lowys' exit at this point in the cycle raised concerns about the extent of deterioration yet to occur.
"Again, we have for some time been expecting a downward structural reset in the retail sector to occur through higher vacancy rates, negative rental reversions and lower development volumes," he said.
The managing director of Maxim Asset Management, Winston Sammut, said Peter Lowy had reiterated the company's commitment to continue with the share buyback.
"The exit of the LFG [Lowy Family Group] was a surprise, however it is an investment decision made independently by the manager of the LFG, David Lowy," Mr Sammut said.
After the close of trade on Thursday, the Lowy Family Group sold 218 million securities in Westfield Retail Trust at a price of $3.09 per share. A majority of the securities were placed with institutions.
The sale was completed at the same time a majority of the real estate investment trusts paid out about $2.3 billion in cash for distributions as part of the profit season, giving investors firepower to buy the shares.
Westfield Retail Trust shares finished 4.09 per cent lower at $3.05.
Frequently Asked Questions about this Article…
Investors marked down Westfield Retail Trust after the surprise sale by the Lowy Family Group, which many saw as a signal the Lowys expect better growth outside Australia. The market reaction pushed Westfield shares down 4.09% to finish at $3.05.
After the close of trade the Lowy Family Group sold 218 million Westfield Retail Trust securities at $3.09 per share. A majority of those securities were placed with institutional investors.
Yes. Co-chief executive Peter Lowy said at a briefing that if sales growth in Australia doesn’t pick up, rents might have to fall, reflecting concern about the flat retail environment.
Steven Lowy said Australia and New Zealand malls’ net operating income growth was expected to be between 1.5% and 2% for the year, down from last year’s 2.9%.
Westfield said new leases in Australia were being signed at rents approximately 4% to 5% lower than previous expiries across about 15% of tenants, indicating negative rental reversion in parts of the portfolio.
Close to 60% of Westfield’s revenue is generated from development and management of malls in North America, London and new joint ventures in Milan and Brazil, suggesting the group’s growth is heavily weighted to overseas markets.
Westfield has a development pipeline of $1.25 billion to $1.5 billion this year, with its share around $500 million. Management said financing will come from asset sales, cost cutting and redeployment of capital.
Yes. Management reiterated the company’s commitment to continue the share buyback program, even after the Lowy Family Group’s unexpected exit.

