UGL on hunt for takeovers
"Everyone should consider themselves a takeover target - but not the three [engineers] larger than us," chief executive Richard Leupen said on Monday.
He was speaking after the release of poor year-to-June earnings, with the net profit slumping to $41.7 million from $135.4 million a year earlier, and earnings a share diving to 21.9¢ from 80.8¢. Revenue declined 14.3 per cent to $3.8 billion.
An unfranked final 5¢ a share dividend was declared, giving a 39¢ a share total payout for the year.
UGL intends to spin off DTZ to shareholders during fiscal 2015, depending on market conditions.
The spinoff will be via an in-specie distribution to shareholders and UGL will not retain any holding in the property services arm once it is completed.
DTZ is in the process of establishing its head office in Los Angeles, on the US west coast, and while its initial listing will be on the ASX, the company could in the future move to a US exchange.
DTZ has expanded by acquisition and now has operations in Europe, along with the US and Asia, opening the door for global property mandates from international groups such as Yahoo, Rolls-Royce and Texas Instruments, Mr Leupen said.
After the reorganisation, UGL would be a $2.4 billion company, which was "not enough to stand alone", Mr Leupen said.
The reorganisation comes as UGL is moving to select a new chief executive to run the company with the looming end to Mr Leupen's contract.
The selection process was "well advanced", Mr Leupen said, although he said he would remain until the demerger had been completed.
The brunt of the earnings downturn was borne by its engineering arm, which was hit by slumping orders, although the downturn might now be easing. "One positive sign is Australian coalminers are seeking tenders for maintenance," Mr Leupen said. "We've not seen that for 12 months."
He said companies moved swiftly a year ago to curtail discretionary spending although in areas such as maintenance the cuts could not continue indefinitely.
"We're making the best of limited opportunities," Mr Leupen said.
UGL has submitted tenders for work valued at $8 billion, with tenders for a further $2 billion of projects being prepared.
Any revival in demand was "probably two to three years away" in its locomotive division, where it has a dominant market share nationally.
Frequently Asked Questions about this Article…
UGL says it intends to embark on a takeover spree to rebuild the company once it completes the spin-off of its property services arm DTZ. CEO Richard Leupen indicated the company will be actively looking at targets, though he excluded the three engineers larger than UGL.
UGL reported a weak year to June, with net profit slipping to $41.7 million from $135.4 million a year earlier. Earnings per share fell to 21.9 cents from 80.8 cents, and revenue declined 14.3 percent to $3.8 billion.
UGL declared a final unfranked dividend of 5 cents a share, giving a total payout for the year of 39 cents a share.
UGL intends to spin off DTZ to shareholders during fiscal 2015, subject to market conditions. The spin-off will be done via an in-specie distribution to shareholders, and UGL says it will not retain any holding in DTZ once the demerger is completed.
DTZ is establishing its head office in Los Angeles on the US west coast. Its initial listing will be on the ASX, but the company could move to a US exchange in the future.
DTZ has expanded by acquisition and now operates in Europe, the US and Asia. That global reach opens the door for property mandates from international groups such as Yahoo, Rolls-Royce and Texas Instruments, according to UGL’s CEO.
UGL’s engineering arm bore the brunt of the earnings downturn due to slumping orders, though there are early signs of easing as Australian coalminers seek maintenance tenders again. UGL has submitted tenders for about $8 billion of work and is preparing tenders for a further $2 billion. The company expects a revival in demand for its locomotive division to be probably two to three years away, despite holding a dominant national market share.
After the reorganisation UGL would be a roughly $2.4 billion company, which CEO Richard Leupen described as not large enough to stand alone. The firm is moving to select a new CEO—selection is well advanced—and Leupen will remain until the demerger is completed. Investors should be aware that the spin-off, leadership transition and the need to rebuild through acquisitions are central to UGL’s strategy going forward.

