InvestSMART

QBE chief hands over baton

INCOMING QBE Insurance chief executive John Neal says he has no intention of backing away from the insurer's efforts to grow through acquisitions, even as doubts persist on the profitability of the smaller deals the company is now aiming for.
By · 29 Feb 2012
By ·
29 Feb 2012
comments Comments
INCOMING QBE Insurance chief executive John Neal says he has no intention of backing away from the insurer's efforts to grow through acquisitions, even as doubts persist on the profitability of the smaller deals the company is now aiming for.

Mr Neal, the former head of QBE's European operations, insisted there would be no fundamental change to the insurer when he took charge in August. His appointment was "more about evolution rather than revolution" for the insurer, which operates in more than 50 countries.

The career insurance executive was yesterday named QBE's third chief executive in as many decades. The appointment capped off nearly nearly two years of painstaking preparations for the retirement of Frank O'Halloran, the long-serving chief executive who has overseen more than 125 acquisitions in expanding QBE offshore.

"Frank has been the architect of modernising QBE through his tenure acquisitions have been part of that process. We don't see any reason why that shouldn't be the case," said Mr Neal, who last year was appointed QBE's chief underwriting officer.

In outlining his plans to retire, Mr O'Halloran said yesterday there would be no changes in his approach to acquisitions over the next few months. Several bolt-on acquisitions remained under consideration, and they could translate to about $750 million in additional premiums for 2012.

"I can say that I've worked my heart and soul out for QBE for 35 years and I know John will do the same," Mr O'Halloran said.

But in a surprise twist, Mr O'Halloran will rejoin the company as non-executive director in early 2013, leaving just a six-month break from his retirement as chief executive.

The insurer's chairman, Belinda Hutchinson, defended the move, saying she believed it was consistent with good corporate governance. "The board made a decision we had someone who had extraordinary knowledge of the industry and we didn't want to lose him to another player in the industry."

Overshadowing Mr O'Halloran's retirement was a 45 per cent fall in QBE's full-year profit to $US704 million. The company was barely profitable in the second half after being hit by a string of natural disasters during 2011 that sent claims soaring.

The insurer also outlined plans to prop up its capital position by raising as much as $600 million from shareholders. Shares in QBE were placed in a trading halt while the raising is finalised. In Mr O'Halloran's time as chief executive, QBE shares have traded as high as $35, but touched a low of about $5 after the company made an emergency capital raising after the September 11 attack on New York's World Trade Centre. QBE's shares last traded at $11.50.

Mr O'Halloran is the key architect of the business model that is starting to show cracks as growth in the US and Europe remain tough to come by, even through acquisitions. QBE invested heavily in the US market just as the insurance cycle there was turning negative. Its chase for high-margin insurance businesses also left it exposed to weather events.

This caught up with it last year, when payouts for flood, storms and fire around the world totalled $2.35 billion, more than twice the amount of the previous year.

"Over the past five years, QBE increased the weighting of its business to the US market at a time when insurance margins had peaked and have not recovered," said BBY analyst Brett Le Mesurier.

Google News
Follow us on Google News
Go to Google News, then click "Follow" button to add us.
Share this article and show your support
Free Membership
Free Membership
InvestSMART
InvestSMART
Keep on reading more articles from InvestSMART. See more articles
Join the conversation
Join the conversation...
There are comments posted so far. Join the conversation, please login or Sign up.

Frequently Asked Questions about this Article…

John Neal says he has no intention of backing away from QBE's efforts to grow through acquisitions. He described his appointment as 'more about evolution rather than revolution' and intends to continue pursuing bolt-on and smaller deals despite doubts about their profitability.

QBE's full-year profit fell about 45% to US$704 million. The insurer was hit by a string of natural disasters in 2011 that sent claims soaring and left the company barely profitable in the second half of the year.

Yes. QBE outlined plans to prop up its capital position by raising as much as $600 million from shareholders, and its shares were placed in a trading halt while the raising is finalised.

QBE shares last traded at $11.50. Historically they have traded as high as $35 and plunged to about $5 after the company made an emergency capital raising following the September 11 attacks.

QBE was heavily exposed in 2011: payouts for floods, storms and fire worldwide totalled $2.35 billion—more than twice the previous year—highlighting the insurer's sensitivity to weather events after pursuing high-margin business.

Frank O'Halloran retired as chief executive but will rejoin QBE as a non-executive director in early 2013 after a roughly six-month break. During his tenure he oversaw more than 125 acquisitions and said several bolt-on deals could add about $750 million in premiums for 2012.

QBE operates in more than 50 countries. The company invested heavily in the US market in recent years and has pursued growth in the US and Europe, although growth in those regions has been tough to come by.

Analyst Brett Le Mesurier noted that QBE increased its weighting to the US market when insurance margins had peaked and have not recovered, and that chasing high-margin insurance left the company exposed to weather events—signs the existing business model is under strain.