InvestSMART

Hospital projects concern as Buildplan struggles

Construction group National Buildplan has been put into administration, casting doubt on the future of 180 jobs and tens of millions of dollars worth of projects around the country.
By · 9 Apr 2013
By ·
9 Apr 2013
comments Comments
Construction group National Buildplan has been put into administration, casting doubt on the future of 180 jobs and tens of millions of dollars worth of projects around the country.

Insolvency firm BRI Ferrier was called in late on Monday afternoon after work was stopped on projects run by the family owned NSW company, including a $65 million expansion of the Port Macquarie Base Hospital and a redevelopment at Dubbo Base Hospital.

The move is expected to end a joint venture with Watpac on the Port Macquarie project, with Watpac hoping to become the sole contractor.

BRI Ferrier is expected to make an announcement on Tuesday about National Buildplan's other operations, which employ at least 180 people in NSW, Queensland and Western Australia.

The company, owned by William Robert Wheeler and Tonia Jane Wheeler, made a net profit of $1.09 million from $152.41 million in revenue in the 2011-12 financial year. It had expected to make a turnover of more than $188 million this financial year.

The collapse comes amid mounting complaints that subcontractors were not being paid. Last week, Minister for Mental Health Kevin Humphries said the group had confirmed, in a statutory declaration, that all legal entitlements on the Dubbo project had been paid.
Google News
Follow us on Google News
Go to Google News, then click "Follow" button to add us.
Share this article and show your support
Free Membership
Free Membership
InvestSMART
InvestSMART
Keep on reading more articles from InvestSMART. See more articles
Join the conversation
Join the conversation...
There are comments posted so far. Join the conversation, please login or Sign up.

Frequently Asked Questions about this Article…

Construction group National Buildplan was put into administration after work stopped on several projects. Insolvency firm BRI Ferrier was called in late on Monday, casting doubt over ongoing projects and the company’s future.

The administration has put at least two major health projects at risk: a $65 million expansion of the Port Macquarie Base Hospital and a redevelopment at Dubbo Base Hospital, along with other tens of millions of dollars worth of projects around the country.

The move into administration is expected to end National Buildplan’s joint venture with Watpac on the Port Macquarie project, with Watpac hoping to step in as the sole contractor.

BRI Ferrier is the insolvency firm appointed to manage National Buildplan’s administration. The firm was expected to make an announcement about National Buildplan’s other operations on the following Tuesday.

The company employs at least 180 people across New South Wales, Queensland and Western Australia, and those roles were put in doubt when National Buildplan entered administration.

In the 2011–12 financial year National Buildplan reported a net profit of $1.09 million from $152.41 million in revenue. The company had expected turnover of more than $188 million in the current financial year.

The collapse followed mounting complaints that subcontractors were not being paid. However, Minister for Mental Health Kevin Humphries said the group had confirmed in a statutory declaration that all legal entitlements on the Dubbo project had been paid.

Watch for announcements from BRI Ferrier about the administration process, updates on who will complete key projects (for example whether Watpac becomes sole contractor on Port Macquarie), and any news about subcontractor claims or project continuity that could affect contractors and suppliers involved.