Former Qantas exec to lead Tiger

Virgin Australia boss John Borghetti has picked a former Qantas executive as the new boss of its recently acquired budget carrier Tiger Airways Australia.

Virgin Australia boss John Borghetti has picked a former Qantas executive as the new boss of its recently acquired budget carrier Tiger Airways Australia.

Rob Sharp, who worked for 15 years at Qantas including roles in strategy and innovation, global airport infrastructure and services, will commence as Tiger Australia's chief executive from Wednesday.

Mr Borghetti, a former Qantas general manager, said he was "delighted" with the new appointment.

The move follows the competition regulator recently approved Virgin Australia's bid to buy 60 per cent of Tiger Australia from its Singaporean parent. The remaining 40 per cent stays with Tiger Airways Group, and the deal still requires approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board.

As part of the transaction, Virgin Australia had the right to nominate the first chief executive.

"Rob's extensive executive management career in aviation and strong leadership skills will be of great value to the airline. I am confident that Rob will build a sustainable low-cost carrier and bring strong competition to the budget segment".

Tiger's acting chief executive, Harry Holling, also the airline's chief pilot, was in the role since December 6.

"I have full confidence in Rob's leadership and capabilities. He knows the ground well, and is full of creative ideas and solutions. With him in the cockpit, we can expect strong, sound business decisions, and positive results at the end of the day," the group chief executive of Tiger Airways, Koay Peng Yen, said.

Mr Sharp was most recently the global head of commercial airport infrastructure and services at Qantas. He starts at Tiger this week at the head office at Tullamarine Airport in Melbourne.

"I am privileged to be part of the Tiger team as it embarks on a new and exciting chapter. I see many opportunities ahead and look forward to leveraging these to build a stronger Tiger Australia" he said in a statement released by Tiger.

Related Articles