InvestSMART

FBI arrests 'jockey' in $2.5m fraud

AN AUSTRALIAN man who claimed to be a former champion jockey has been arrested in the United States and charged with a $2.5 million fraud.
By · 16 Oct 2011
By ·
16 Oct 2011
comments Comments
AN AUSTRALIAN man who claimed to be a former champion jockey has been arrested in the United States and charged with a $2.5 million fraud.

Christopher James Woods, 52, was arrested by the FBI in Greenwich, Connecticut, and extradited to Los Angeles where he appeared in the US District Court.

In an affidavit to the court, FBI Special Agent Ty Thomas said Mr Woods (pictured) had used some of the money to pay $1 million off his American Express card. It is alleged the card was used to buy luxury goods, food, travel and entertainment.

The Sun-Herald has learnt that Chris Woods, as he is generally known, has for more than 30 years told people in Australia and overseas that he was a successful jockey and he had inside information on horse races.

In the early 1980s he told the Double Bay restaurant owner Tony Eustace there was a "sure thing" running at Murray Bridge in South Australia.

Mr Eustace, who was murdered in 1985 during the Sydney gang wars, gave $10,000 in cash to a friend called Frank Webb, who went to the race track where he met Mr Woods.

Mr Webb told The-Sun Herald last week he became suspicious when three other punters turned up, each with $10,000, to put on the "sure thing" at odds of about 4-1.

He said he declined to put Mr Eustace's money on the horse but the other punters went ahead. The horse did not win.

Mr Webb said he had had nothing to do with Mr Woods since then.

Special Agent Thomas's affidavit states that in mid-2007, Mr Woods's alleged co-conspirators, Henrik and Hamlet Sardariani, told the manager of a company called Bith, LLC, they were buying a hospital in Los Angeles County and needed $2.5 million to be placed into a secure account for 30 days.

Then, $1.9 million was transferred to Mr Woods's US bank account. The court heard more than $1 million was used to pay off Mr Woods's Amex card.

An FBI spokeswoman said Mr Woods had been arrested on August 23. He is due to reappear in court later this month.

Google News
Follow us on Google News
Go to Google News, then click "Follow" button to add us.
Share this article and show your support
Free Membership
Free Membership
InvestSMART
InvestSMART
Keep on reading more articles from InvestSMART. See more articles
Join the conversation
Join the conversation...
There are comments posted so far. Join the conversation, please login or Sign up.

Frequently Asked Questions about this Article…

Christopher James Woods, a 52-year-old Australian who claimed to be a former champion jockey, was arrested by the FBI in Greenwich, Connecticut and extradited to Los Angeles. He has been charged in connection with an alleged $2.5 million fraud and appeared in US District Court. An affidavit by FBI Special Agent Ty Thomas sets out the allegations against him.

According to the court affidavit, about $1.9 million was transferred into Woods’s US bank account. The filing says more than $1 million of that was used to pay off his American Express card, and the card was allegedly used for luxury goods, food, travel and entertainment.

The affidavit names alleged co-conspirators Henrik and Hamlet Sardariani. It says they told the manager of a company called Bith, LLC that they were buying a hospital in Los Angeles County and needed $2.5 million to be placed into a secure account for 30 days.

For more than 30 years, Woods — generally known as Chris Woods — reportedly told people in Australia and overseas that he was a successful jockey and that he had inside information on horse races. The article also recounts an early-1980s episode where he touted a 'sure thing' at Murray Bridge in South Australia.

An FBI spokeswoman said Woods was arrested on August 23. He was extradited to Los Angeles and appeared in US District Court; the article notes he is due to reappear in court later this month.

The affidavit states that in mid-2007 the Sardarianis told the manager of Bith, LLC they needed $2.5 million placed into a secure account for 30 days as part of buying a Los Angeles County hospital. Shortly afterwards, roughly $1.9 million was transferred into Woods’s US bank account, according to the court filing.

FBI Special Agent Ty Thomas’s affidavit alleges that more than $1 million of the transferred funds was used to pay off Woods’s American Express card. The card charges cited include luxury goods, food, travel and entertainment.

The article highlights several red flags that appeared in this matter: promises of a 'sure thing' or insider tips, requests to place large sums into a short-term 'secure' account, large transfers going into an individual’s bank account rather than an escrow or corporate account, and inconsistent or unverifiable claims about credentials. These are the kinds of issues that prompted the FBI affidavit in this case.