InvestSMART

Father Bob 'pressured to quit' post

VICTORIAN of the Year Father Bob Maguire says he is being made to quit his post as parish priest against his will, and that his ejection could unravel his community work.
By · 5 Jul 2011
By ·
5 Jul 2011
comments Comments
VICTORIAN of the Year Father Bob Maguire says he is being made to quit his post as parish priest against his will, and that his ejection could unravel his community work.

Father Maguire is due to step down as parish priest at South Melbourne's Church of St Peter and St Paul on February 1 next year, as he agreed in a letter to the Archbishop of Melbourne, Denis Hart, in 2009.

But the celebrity Catholic priest said yesterday that he was "pressured" into writing the letter and in fact wants to remain in the job beyond that date, as his position as parish priest is integral to the church's work in the community.

"Why would you go to the trouble of breaking up the relationship when in fact everybody seems to be agreeing that it's a bloody good thing?" he said.

Father Maguire resisted an attempt by Archbishop Hart two years ago to nudge him into retirement upon his 75th birthday, winning an extension in the role until February 1, 2012.

"In 2009 I was pressured into signing a letter of resignation," he said. "I turned 75 and [Archbishop Hart] said 'look, the custom now is to offer your resignation and if you offer it, I'll take it'. So I said, 'I don't know that I'll offer it'."

Father Maguire best known for his appearances on TV and radio alongside comedian John Safran, but also for his work with the homeless and the poor said he could not understand why he was being singled out for retirement when many Catholic priests continue to work well beyond the age of 75. But Archbishop Hart said the move was "consistent with canon law, which asks a priest who turns 75 to offer his resignation".

"While there may be older parish priests in Victoria their appointment is dependent on the assessment by the local bishop of the circumstances of the priest, parish and diocese," the archbishop added.

Now 77 but still committed to his church and community work, Father Maguire questioned whether it was his attention-grabbing style, rather than his age, behind the move.

"Maybe the Roman style currently prevailing in the Catholic Church thinks that I'm a bogan," he said.

Father Maguire was named Victorian of the Year last week for his community service work. He dedicated the award to his parishioners, saying they had joined him in reaching out to the local community, especially those living in South Melbourne's public housing estate.

Archbishop Hart also praised Father Maguire's community work, saying he had "thoroughly deserved the Victorian of the Year award".

Google News
Follow us on Google News
Go to Google News, then click "Follow" button to add us.
Share this article and show your support
Free Membership
Free Membership
InvestSMART
InvestSMART
Keep on reading more articles from InvestSMART. See more articles
Join the conversation
Join the conversation...
There are comments posted so far. Join the conversation, please login or Sign up.

Frequently Asked Questions about this Article…

Father Bob Maguire is the well‑known parish priest at South Melbourne's Church of St Peter and St Paul, noted for community work with the homeless and poor and media appearances (including with John Safran). The article reports he says he is being pressured to quit his post, raising public interest because of his community role and recent recognition as Victorian of the Year.

According to the article, Father Bob signed a letter to Archbishop Denis Hart in 2009 agreeing to step down on a specified February 1 date. Archbishop Hart says the request is consistent with canon law asking priests who turn 75 to offer their resignation, while Father Bob says he was pressured into signing and wants to remain because his parish role is integral to community work.

The article states that canon law asks a priest who turns 75 to offer his resignation. Archbishop Hart added that appointments for older parish priests depend on the local bishop’s assessment of the circumstances of the priest, parish and diocese.

The article says Father Bob is due to step down on February 1 (the year specified in the 2009 letter). It also notes he previously resisted a move to retire at 75 and had won an extension in the role until February 1, 2012.

Father Bob told reporters his ejection could unravel the church’s community work. He says his position as parish priest is integral to outreach efforts—particularly services for people in South Melbourne’s public housing estate and support for the homeless and poor.

Father Bob says he was pressured into signing a resignation letter in 2009 and wants to remain beyond the agreed date. He previously resisted a push to retire at 75 and secured an extension, so he disputes that he should be forced out solely because of his age.

The article reports Father Bob was named Victorian of the Year for his community service. He dedicated the award to his parishioners, noting they had joined him in outreach to the local community, especially those living in South Melbourne’s public housing estate.

Archbishop Hart said the move to seek resignation is consistent with canon law and noted that continued appointment depends on the bishop’s assessment of local circumstances. He also praised Father Bob’s community work and said Father Bob had 'thoroughly deserved' the Victorian of the Year award.