InvestSMART

Fairfax confident digital changeover is on track

Fairfax Media chief executive Greg Hywood has a growing belief in the media company's ability to transform from a primarily print-based business to a digital-focused one, and expects conditions to improve after the federal election.
By · 23 Aug 2013
By ·
23 Aug 2013
comments Comments
Fairfax Media chief executive Greg Hywood has a growing belief in the media company's ability to transform from a primarily print-based business to a digital-focused one, and expects conditions to improve after the federal election.

"Fairfax will not blink," Mr Hywood told BusinessDay. "People have looked at the internet in terms of traditional media and thought, 'Look, these are all the structural challenges that it poses ... but the fact about new technologies is they also provide opportunities that weren't there in the past."

Fairfax, owner of The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age reported a full-year loss of $16.4 million, compared with the $2.7 billion loss reported in the previous year. This year's result was marred by an 8.2 per cent fall in revenue to $2 billion and write-downs worth $445 million on its regional, printing and agricultural business.

But Fairfax signalled a moderation in revenue decline for the start of this financial year, and reported a better-than-expected take-up of subscriptions for the Herald and The Age sites since paywalls were imposed last month.

Mr Hywood said Fairfax achieved half its one-year subscription target for the sites in July alone. There were 68,000 paid digital subscriptions and 98,000 bundled print and digital subscriptions, with "minimal impact on overall traffic numbers", he said.

In addition to at least $311 million in annualised savings by June 2015, Mr Hywood said Fairfax was targeting new revenue streams in events, marketing services to small and medium-sized businesses, as well as content marketing.

He said the federal election had caused many advertisers to sit on their hands. "A lot of businesses, including ours, in a business sense ... we're looking to improved circumstances after the campaign."

For the year to June 30, underlying earnings - before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation, and excluding significant items - came in at $366 million, slightly above analyst consensus. The underlying profit of $128 million was bang on the analyst average. Simon Marais, of funds group Allan Gray, said the result was as expected in an "incredibly hard" market. He said low debt levels, at $154 million in June were a good thing but at some point Fairfax had to "stabilise the revenue".

Citi analyst Justin Diddams said the results were broadly in line with expectations, but the outlook statement of revenue falling 8 per cent in the first six weeks of this financial year "highlights ongoing challenging revenue condition".

Shares in Fairfax edged 0.86 per cent higher to close at 58.5¢ on Thursday. After dropping to a low of 35¢ last year, the shares have risen 15 per cent in the year to date.
Google News
Follow us on Google News
Go to Google News, then click "Follow" button to add us.
Share this article and show your support
Free Membership
Free Membership
InvestSMART
InvestSMART
Keep on reading more articles from InvestSMART. See more articles
Join the conversation
Join the conversation...
There are comments posted so far. Join the conversation, please login or Sign up.

Frequently Asked Questions about this Article…

Fairfax Media, led by CEO Greg Hywood, is pushing a digital changeover that includes paywalls for The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, a strong push for paid digital subscriptions, cost savings and the development of new revenue streams like events, content marketing and marketing services for small and medium businesses.

Fairfax reported a full-year loss of $16.4 million, compared with a $2.7 billion loss the prior year. Revenue fell 8.2% to $2.0 billion, and the company recorded $445 million of write-downs on its regional, printing and agricultural businesses. Underlying EBITDA was $366 million and underlying profit was $128 million.

Since imposing paywalls, Fairfax reported a better-than-expected take-up: 68,000 paid digital subscriptions and 98,000 bundled print-and-digital subscriptions. CEO Greg Hywood said the company achieved half of its one-year subscription target in July alone, with minimal impact on overall traffic.

Fairfax is targeting at least $311 million in annualised savings by June 2015. Management is also focusing on growing new revenue streams such as events, marketing services to small and medium-sized businesses, and content marketing to offset declines in traditional advertising.

Management said the federal election caused many advertisers to pause spending, which weighed on revenue. Fairfax expects improved circumstances after the campaign, but Citi noted revenue was down about 8% in the first six weeks of the new financial year, highlighting ongoing challenging revenue conditions.

Analysts broadly saw results as in line with expectations. Simon Marais of Allan Gray highlighted Fairfax's relatively low debt—$154 million at June—as a positive but said the company still needs to stabilise revenue. Citi's Justin Diddams warned the early revenue fall shows continued headwinds for the business.

Shares edged 0.86% higher to close at 58.5 cents on the day the results were reported. The stock had fallen as low as 35 cents last year and had risen about 15% year-to-date at the time of the article.

Keep an eye on subscription growth and churn (paid digital and bundled numbers), quarterly revenue trends (especially advertising revenue after the election), progress on the $311 million cost-savings program, any further impairments or write-downs, and commentary from management on new revenue lines like events and marketing services—these will indicate how well Fairfax's digital transition is progressing.