InvestSMART

Asciano trims growth outlook on wharves

Asciano has reduced its expectations for growth on the country's container wharves next financial year due to challenging trading conditions.
By · 26 Jun 2013
By ·
26 Jun 2013
comments Comments
Asciano has reduced its expectations for growth on the country's container wharves next financial year due to challenging trading conditions.

The ports and rail company still expects its pre-tax earnings and revenue for the second half of this financial year to be higher than in the first half, but has emphasised the tough economic environment.

Asciano chief executive John Mullen told analysts during a site visit in NSW on Tuesday that trading conditions remained challenging, especially for transport such as its bulk-rail operations which were linked to a "soft domestic economy".

It has revised down its expectations for market growth in container volumes to 1 to 2 per cent from about 4 to 5 per cent annually. Container volumes remained "slightly negative" in the second half.

Asciano's Patrick stevedoring operations and DP World also face a growing threat from Hutchison Ports, which has begun operations in Brisbane and will open another terminal in Sydney next year.

Asciano has been preparing for the arrival of Hutchison with plans to replicate its automated terminal in Brisbane at its operations at Port Botany in Sydney.

It has already begun laying off 270 of its 511-strong workforce at Port Botany as it switches from manned to automated straddles, which shift containers around the port terminal.

Asciano will now book all of the redundancy costs - about $17 million after tax - this financial year.

Construction has also begun on the $383 million redevelopment of its Port Botany container terminal. It is on track to be completed in July next year.

Mr Mullen said the company was focusing on cost cutting, and reducing its capital expenditure spending.

Shares in Asciano closed 3 per cent higher at $4.84 on Tuesday.
Google News
Follow us on Google News
Go to Google News, then click "Follow" button to add us.
Share this article and show your support
Free Membership
Free Membership
InvestSMART
InvestSMART
Keep on reading more articles from InvestSMART. See more articles
Join the conversation
Join the conversation...
There are comments posted so far. Join the conversation, please login or Sign up.

Frequently Asked Questions about this Article…

Asciano trimmed its market growth forecast for container volumes to 1–2% annually, down from about 4–5% a year, citing challenging trading conditions.

Yes — Asciano still expects its pre-tax earnings and revenue in the second half to be higher than in the first half, although it emphasised the tough economic environment.

The company pointed to challenging trading conditions, a 'soft domestic economy' affecting transport like its bulk-rail operations, and container volumes that were 'slightly negative' in the second half.

Hutchison Ports has begun operations in Brisbane and will open another terminal in Sydney next year, which Asciano says is a growing competitive threat to its Patrick stevedoring operations and DP World.

Asciano is preparing to replicate the automated terminal model seen in Brisbane at its Port Botany operations, switching from manned to automated straddles that move containers around the terminal.

Yes — Asciano has begun laying off 270 of the 511-strong workforce at Port Botany as it automates operations, and it will book about $17 million in redundancy costs after tax in this financial year.

Construction is under way on a $383 million redevelopment of the Port Botany container terminal, on track for completion in July next year, while the company is focusing on cost cutting and reducing capital expenditure.

Asciano shares closed 3% higher at $4.84 on Tuesday following the company's update.