InvestSMART

No fare: Cabcharge loses in taxi reform

Cabcharge shares were savaged on Tuesday after the Victorian government said it would step in to force the monopoly payment company to slash fees on electronic payments across state's 5000-plus cabs, prompting speculation other states would follow suit.
By · 29 May 2013
By ·
29 May 2013
comments Comments
Cabcharge shares were savaged on Tuesday after the Victorian government said it would step in to force the monopoly payment company to slash fees on electronic payments across state's 5000-plus cabs, prompting speculation other states would follow suit.

The government detailed plans to cut the card surcharge on Cabcharge's electronic payment system from 10 per cent to 5 per cent as part of a broader overhaul of the state's taxi industry.

The move follows the state government adopting nearly all the recommendations of an 18-month inquiry into Victoria's taxis headed by former competition regulator Allan Fels.

Goldman Sachs analyst Jim Godsil said the decision to cut the surcharge in Victoria would likely have "ripple effects as taxi regulators in other states take note". Any moves by NSW to cut fees in taxis would have a major impact on Cabcharge, given that the state ranks as its biggest market.

Cabcharge, which estimates that its electronic payment system is in 97 per cent of Australia's taxis, closed down 15.3 per cent, or 75¢, to $4.15.

Professor Fels, the former head of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission who chaired the influential report on which the decision was based, said last year that "Cabcharge's tentacles reach everywhere in the industry and any substantial reform in Victoria and elsewhere would have an effect on Cabcharge".

Cabcharge said in a statement that it would "study the document ... in its entirely and make a considered response in due course".

Cabcharge founder and chief executive Reg Kermode had previously responded to Professor Fels' recommendation to cut the card surcharge by saying last December: "If that's what you want, you can all go back to cash."

The move by the Victorian government goes a step further than the Reserve Bank, which attempted to push down charges two years ago. At the time the central bank claimed some fees including those charged by airlines and hotels were a form of raising revenue, rather than covering the cost of the transaction.

In March, the Reserve Bank said it would allow credit card companies to limit surcharges "where merchants were clearly surcharging at a higher level than is justified".

Mr Kermode said earlier this year that Cabcharge issued a service fee and not a surcharge.

Goldman Sachs' Mr Godsil said that although the timing of the surcharge cuts was in the hands of state regulators and credit card companies such as Visa and MasterCard, surcharges looked to be coming down.

The decision to allow taxi licence-owners to operate independently rather than being part of a taxi network reduces the power of the two large taxi networks in Victoria - of which Cabcharge operates one, Mr Godsil added.
Google News
Follow us on Google News
Go to Google News, then click "Follow" button to add us.
Share this article and show your support
Free Membership
Free Membership
InvestSMART
InvestSMART
Keep on reading more articles from InvestSMART. See more articles
Join the conversation
Join the conversation...
There are comments posted so far. Join the conversation, please login or Sign up.

Frequently Asked Questions about this Article…

The Victorian government said it will force down the card surcharge on Cabcharge's electronic payment system from 10% to 5% as part of a wider overhaul of the state's taxi industry impacting more than 5,000 cabs.

Cabcharge shares plunged 15.3% (a fall of 75 cents) to $4.15 after the Victorian government announced plans to cut the card surcharge, reflecting investor concern about the impact on the company's revenue.

Goldman Sachs analyst Jim Godsil said regulators in other states are likely to take note of Victoria's move; if large markets such as New South Wales follow suit, it would materially affect Cabcharge because NSW is its biggest market.

According to Cabcharge, its electronic payment system is installed in about 97% of Australia's taxis, making the company highly exposed to regulatory changes to taxi payment fees.

The Victorian government adopted nearly all recommendations from an 18-month inquiry into Victoria's taxis led by former competition regulator Allan Fels, whose report recommended reducing the influence of dominant taxi networks and cutting high payment fees.

Cabcharge said it would 'study the document in its entirety and make a considered response in due course.' Founder and CEO Reg Kermode has previously pushed back on surcharge cuts, saying customers could 'go back to cash,' and the company has described its charge as a service fee rather than a surcharge.

The move goes further than earlier Reserve Bank efforts: two years ago the RBA tried to push down some merchant charges, and in March it said credit card companies could limit surcharges where merchants were clearly charging more than justified.

Allowing taxi licence-owners to operate independently rather than being tied to large networks reduces the power of big taxi networks (one of which Cabcharge operates). Analysts say this structural change could weaken Cabcharge's grip on the industry and put downward pressure on its fees and earnings.