From Qantas to boss of Tiger in Australia

Virgin Australia boss John Borghetti has picked a former Qantas executive as the new boss of its recently acquired budget carrier Tiger Airways Australia.

Virgin Australia boss John Borghetti has picked a former Qantas executive as the new boss of its recently acquired budget carrier Tiger Airways Australia.

Rob Sharp, who worked for 15 years at Qantas, including roles in strategy and innovation, global airport infrastructure and services, will start work as Tiger Australia's chief executive from Wednesday.

Mr Borghetti, a former Qantas general manager, said he was "delighted" with the appointment.

The move follows the competition regulator's recent approval for Virgin Australia to buy 60 per cent of Tiger Australia from its Singaporean parent. The remaining 40 per cent stays with Tiger Airways Group, and the deal still requires approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board.

As part of the transaction, Virgin Australia had the right to nominate the first chief executive.

"Rob's extensive executive management career in aviation and strong leadership skills will be of great value to the airline," Mr Borghetti said. "I am confident that Rob will build a sustainable low-cost carrier and bring strong competition to the budget segment."

Tiger's acting chief executive, Harry Holling, also the airline's chief pilot, was in the role since December 6.

"I have full confidence in Rob's leadership and capabilities," Tiger Airways' group chief executive Koay Peng Yen said. "He knows the ground well, and is full of creative ideas and solutions. With him in the cockpit, we can expect strong, sound business decisions, and positive results at the end of the day."

Mr Sharp was most recently the global head of commercial airport infrastructure and services at Qantas. He starts at Tiger this week at the head office at Tullamarine Airport.

Related Articles