Take control of your investments
If you prefer to take a more hands-on approach to your investments, but still want the benefits of professional support from your fund manager, then a sector specialist managed fund could be ideal.
Unlike diversified funds, which invest across asset classes and national borders, sector specialist managed funds focus on a particular asset type, region or industry. For example, you can choose a fund that invests exclusively in:
- An asset class, such as fixed interest or commercial property
- A region, such as the emerging BRIC economies of Brazil, Russia, India and China
- An industry sector, such as mining or
- A selected segment of an asset class, such as small cap companies or blue-chip shares.
Three ways to put specialist managed funds to work
- Diversify your existing investments. If you already have investments, a specialist managed fund is an easy way to create a diversified portfolio without investing directly in a new asset class. For example, if you have a share portfolio and a home, you might choose to diversify into bonds through a fixed interest specialist fund.
- Invest in something new. Even the most astute direct investor can’t be an expert on everything. While you may be a confident trader of Australian shares, for example, it takes time to master Chinese or US stocks, no matter how attractive their growth potential. A sector specialist can help you diversify into an unfamiliar asset or market while focusing your own energies on your areas of expertise.
- Create your own asset mix. Another approach is to use a selection of sector-specific funds to create your own diversified portfolio. That allows you to get the exact mix of assets you're looking for, while entrusting your hard-earned capital to leading fund managers for each individual asset class.
Finding a fund that's right for you
With more than 2,000 funds to choose from, InvestSMART makes it easier than ever to find a sector specialist managed fund that fits your investment strategy.
To find and compare sector specialist managed funds:
- Visit our fund search tool.
- Click Advanced Search.
- Choose an asset class from the Sector/Asset Class list.
- Click Find a Fund, then view the results. When you've found a fund you're interested in, click the fund name to view a detailed fund profile, showing the precise asset allocation on the last reporting date.
Switch and save
It only takes minutes to switch your existing managed funds to InvestSMART, but you can enjoy the savings year after year:
- Fill in our fast online form.
Print the form, then sign it and send it by:
Fax1300 880 260InvestSMART Financial Services Pty Limited
Reply Paid 4477
Sydney NSW 2001
- You'll start saving straight away. And once every year, on the anniversary of when you switched to InvestSMART, you’ll receive your trail commission rebate, either as a cheque or via electronic fund transfer (EFT).
To receive your TrailCap payments via electronic fund transfer (EFT) to an Australian bank account — just complete the EFT section in the online application form.
If you have already nominated InvestSMART as your fund broker and have been receiving TrailCap cheques from us but would rather your money is deposited directly into your bank account, you can let us know your EFT details in the InvestSMART EFT payments form.